The trajectory of the Fortress dates back to 1762, when the Portuguese, foreseeing a new conflict with Spain, decided to fortify the place, at that time called Castillos Chicos. Its walls were built of a double stone wall of masonry and joined by stirrups. The space between both was filled with soil and rubble to form the patrol path and to resist the vibrations of the firings of the enemy artillery. Within this monument you can feel centuries of history. It passed into the hands of the Orientals in 1825, and remained abandoned for a long time until it was rediscovered by the historian Horacio Arredondo, who began the efforts for its reconstruction in 1928.
Visiting hours and cost
COVID-19: COVID-19: the use of face masks is mandatory during the visit. Temperature control and request for personal data.
- High season (from December to March 1st): everyday from 10 am to 7 pm.
- Low season (rest of the year): everyday from 10 am to 5 pm
- Spring holidays: from 10 am to 5 pm.
- The cost is 50 Uruguayan pesos per person, under 12 and over 65 enter for free. It can only be paid with Uruguayan pesos
- Phone: + 598 4474 6541
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Timeline and events that are historical milestones
1762: The Portuguese, foreseeing a new war with Spain, decided to fortify the point called Castillos Chicos, access to the pass of La Angostura. Colonel Tomas Luis Osorio begins the works that are interrupted in 1763 by the advance of the Governor of Buenos Aires, Don Pedro de Cevallos who occupies San Miguel and Santa Teresa.
1763: The works are continued by the Spaniards, the layout is that of an irregular pentagon, with five bastions, its perimeter is 642 meters.
1797: The Veteran Corps of Blandengues of the Border of Montevideo created in December 1796, uses it as a base of operations to fulfill its mission of maintaining security and order in the area.
1811: During the Eastern Revolution is conquered by the Patriots, then falls into Portuguese hands when they invade the Eastern Band in aid of the besieged Montevideo.
1812: The Patriots recover the Fortress that is used to control the border with Portugal.
1816 to 1825: The Portuguese invaded and the Eastern Province remains under their control.
1825 to 1828: It recovers part of its strategic value at the beginning of the Liberation Crusade. Patriotic troops commanded by Colonel Leonardo Olivera take this fortification at dawn on December 31, 1825. With the capture of the guard of Chuy on January 1, 1826 the conquest of the area is completed.
1828: The Preliminary Peace Convention is signed, genesis of the Eastern State of Uruguay.
1842 to 1851: It is used sporadically as a border guard during the Great War.
1892: The possibility of its restoration arises.
1923: On January 10, the First Restoration Commission was created, which functioned until April 8, 1924.
1927: On December 26, it is declared a National Historic Landmark by law number 8172.
1928: The Honorary Commission of Restoration and Conservation of the Fortaleza de Santa Teresa initiates the works of restoration.
1982: Historical Site Museum, the exhibition recreates the appearance of an 18th century fortress and the military evolution of Spanish domination